Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Fam treks it to Europe!

As all of you are aware of, I'm sure, on Monday and Tuesday I had the chance to see my madre, padre, and nonna in Venezia, Italia, and my friend Lara joined us for a great couple of days.



The beautiful Lara Douglass!


On the train ride over, it felt so weird to be like, woah guys, I'm a 1 hour 30 minute train ride from Venice. 



Bologna Train Station


Approaching Venice! 

Oh hey Mummy, Daddy, Grammy


The whole ride over, I couldn't contain my excitement, and would randomly break out in to smiles... just ask the guy sitting next to me. I'm sure he was a little worried about my sanity. 


As soon as I stepped outside of the train station, I was literally slapped in the face with Venice's beauty, with the Grand Canal and the Venice bustle awaiting me outside the doors. I still can't even explain how overwhelming/cool/surreal it was to have that view as soon as I walked out of the doors. 



Venice Train Station. That's my train on the left. Sidenote: I was the idiot who gets somewhat caught in the door when it closes, when I was getting off the train. 





The walk to the hostel was a relatively easy/short walk. I made a wrong turn, and was able to talk with a local and ask for directions. She complimented me on my Italian *swoon* ALSO: big lessons learned on speaking with locals, and speaking Italian in general... but more to come on that later. 



Piazza/Buildings outside of hostel

To the left from hostel door.

The bridge.

To the right.

To the right again.

Windows, with flowerbed, is the windows/balcony outside of hostel living room.

Piazza!
Our bunkbed. 



The hostel has such a cute little Piazza outside of it, and it's own private bridge leading to the front door :) 

My family and I had agreed that we would meet in the middle of Piazza San Marco at 5:30. Unfortunately, I had been told that a water bus would only take 5-10 minutes, and instead it took 45 minutes. I also later found out that my hostel was actually a "one" 20 minute walk to Piazza San Marco, NOT a 1 hour 20 minute walk: thanks hostel website









So I was a tad bit late when I arrived to the square. The boat ride over was relaxing though. Sunset, breeze, and the sweet Venetian air. 



Walking into the sunset.

About to see my family in 15 seconds. 

When I got off the boat, I nearly ran (taking pictures in between speed walking) and finally turned the corner to the Piazza. I waved to my dad, (hey he's taller and can see over the crowd... sorry mom, sorry Grammy), and we met each other in the middle. It was pretty great :)



REUNITED! (We're totally not crying...)


I felt so happy. Yet still couldn't believe it.

That night we had dinner, and got lost through the streets trying to find a restaurant, that ended up being booked (and a bit rude). But we ended up eating right around the corner at an amazing restaurant that was right next to a smaller canal. 





Before dinner though, I was about to give my mom her b-day present, when suddenly my fam just gives me a bag full of goodies. I pull out one particular bag though that had, what was obviously wrapped food. I immediately thought it was cheese. Family's response: "You've been in Italy way too long."

Guys. IT WAS A BURRITO. Some of you know, there is no Mexican food here. And the Mexican food Lara and I did once try, it was a burrito with melted mozzarella cheese, shaved/cubed prosciutto, and red cabbage. And it was 10.50 euro. So, there were some serious withdrawals going on here. They got Lara (who arrived later that night) and I two burritos and two soft tacos.

The next day (MY MOM'S BIRTHDAY!) we took a gondola ride, and ended up getting a great discount because Lara and I talked with our gondolier Gino in Italian, and asked him questions about himself. It was a cloudy morning, and there were virtually no lines, so we just went for it. 











We took a grand canal/private canal tour. I love this city so much. There are so many interesting colors, building materials, textures, sculptures, and shapes to find the detail in. I really enjoyed looking at the smaller details, not just the canal as a whole. That's when you really realize the magic of this city. When you get off the beaten path, get a little lost, or look a little harder. 














My favorite building







Still got it!


We spent the rest of the day, walking, eating, more walking, and more eating. 



Ponte Realto

Walking :)


Now, Venice is an absolutely beautiful city, but after living in a city that is more isolated from heavy tourism, I've realized that the Italians in Venice are so much more jaded, and with good reason! When speaking Italian with businesses, we either experienced shock/appreciation/gratitude, or impatience and anger. 


But overall, I would say that majority of people were thankful. Even people I asked directions from. Even though I was taking their time, they seemed to appreciate that I knew how to speak the language. ALSO: asking locals directions not only can improve your confidence with speaking the language, but you can also learn cool and interesting facts... or receive huge discounts on your gondola ride. 


So don't be afraid to put yourself out there and meet people! It pays off... literally. 



Ciao Venezia!

I wish I could have had more time with the family, but still having the opportunity to spend even a second with them, and also share this experience with Lara, was more than I could ever ask for. 


Thanks family, for an amazing two days :) See you in January!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Salty Projections

The moment the salty distaste of another fills your mouth with indigestible words is the moment self-loathing within becomes projected upon...