Thursday, January 3, 2013

Watching

Talked with a good friend of mine today -- we always have the best heart-to-hearts, and I had some serious epiphanies. 

At one point they said, "Do you think people's true character comes out when no one else is watching." 

I said yes. I think that's so true. From two different angles. 

I think of course, there are some people who can make you feel more in tune with yourself then you could ever imagine, who just bring out the best in you. 

But there's also people who bring out the worst. Or maybe just show who you really are? 

And then there's those moments where people are watching, but they aren't the one who set the expectations for your character. So you act completely differently. 

I think people are also themselves the last seconds before they go to bed. Those moments when your curled up with your head against the pillow, and your mind is wandering.

I think people are themselves when they wake up, do their routine, and get themselves ready for the day; trying to prep themselves for their own battles that they have to face every day. 


And, 


I think people are really themselves on Sundays. When you have nothing else to do. It's your day to let loose, lay down in bed all day, walk aimlessly, dance around in your underwear, eat breakfast at 2pm. Whatever you want, it's yours. 

I wish people, including myself, could be myself more often. Fulfilling the expectations of peers and society can be pretty rough some times. But I think what's even rougher, is not showing the people in your life who you really are. 

So, I think my New Year's Resolution this year is:

Let every single day, moment. hour. second; be Sunday, your head on the pillow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Salty Projections

The moment the salty distaste of another fills your mouth with indigestible words is the moment self-loathing within becomes projected upon...