Tuesday, February 19, 2013

miss

I wrote this this a few days before I got back to California:

I think what I miss most about California is night drives with the windows down, blasting music and singing at the top of my lungs as I look at the view of the bay area. I miss your hugs. Your voices. Your laughs. The ocean air. The redwoods. The smell of Berkeley. The smell of Theta Brunch. Your faces.

What I'll miss most about Bologna is the people, walking around in a medieval city, the accessibility of other countries, the food, the pace, how people live their own lives, speaking in italian, late nights, talks around my kitchen table (talks where you learn everything about the other. tired talks at 3am where you say things you would never otherwise say. that table... so much has happened around that table. the first dinner with my roommates, the first day I arrived I sat at the table shaking with fear, I've found out the best and worst news at that table. I've comforted people, they've comforted me. I've laughed til I've cried. I've eaten incredible meals, drank wine. partied, slept, cried, laughed, yelled, everything.) I'll miss having to push our building door open because it's so swollen from the rainy weather. I'll miss the stairs to my door. The way my room looks when I wake up in the morning. My housemates. The constant sound outside my window. Something is always happening in this city. The snow, walking in the snow and letting it hit my face. My housemates, the people in my program. My runs in Giardini Margherita. All of my interactions with strangers from countries all over the world, who spoke different languages -- those brief connections that change your life, that give you hope, that push you to be a better person. The feeling that you can do anything. The feeling that everything will work itself out. Ask anyone in my program, and we always say that in Bologna, it always feels like your luck should run out, but yet it never does. It just works itself out. Whether it works itself out to the best possible situation, who knows, but in the end... it still works. And you're okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Salty Projections

The moment the salty distaste of another fills your mouth with indigestible words is the moment self-loathing within becomes projected upon...