Thursday, November 29, 2012

Flowers in your hair

I spent the morning looking at photos from over the past year. And wow... I've changed. A whole lot. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sb6LduFwRM

Growing up I always envisioned myself being here across the pond. My parents, from day 1 have showed me the incredible value in traveling and seeing the world. In addition to my parent's leading example, I'd always hear incredible stories, from my cousins, of their experiences abroad, and I'd think... "Ya, I need to do that someday." 

I feel like my itch to travel has always really defined me. If people ever asked me, "What do you want to do with your life?" it was always something that involved traveling. Except I was really serious. I'm not bullshitting when I say I want a job that involves me seeing the world. 

A few months ago, I started to get really scared that this wouldn't be possible for me. And that really ate at me. It hurt my pride. BIG TIME.  

You always hear stories of people who just wake up one day and do whatever they want, but that's all you hear... are stories. And you wonder, how is that even possible?

Until now.

Being in Marrakech really changed my life. Forever. I met so many people who just got up one day and said, "I'm seeing the world, TODAY, damnit. Not tomorrow. TODAY." They put their "lives" (what a joke that our society puts life synonymous with a job) on hold, and set out. 





I met people who had been traveling for 8 months, 8 weeks, or had just begun their journey.

I met one guy who just confirmed everything I was scared about. One day, he got up and set out on his motorbike, with his possessions, to do a roadtrip from Amsterdam to Marrakech. We were just meeting him at the end of his journey.

Not only did he change our experience in Marrakech and show us how to interact with people (more on that in another post), but he completely reaffirmed the type of life I want to have. His name was Tony. One of two names that I learned during my time in Marrakech. I met so many people that I had incredible interactions with -- like this -- that changed my view on life, and yet I didn't even get their names.

And I envied these people. So much. Until, I realized, I'm living the dream too. I'm making it happen. At whatever costs. Spending as little as possible on food to make these travels happen. I'm doing it. And I'm going to keep doing it.

I really think I'm going to come back to Europe within the next 5 years. I have to. The cultural integration here. The pace. The possibilties. They seem so great. For me, I've blossomed here. Maybe it's something in the water? 


Just. Don't ever think you're tied down to your life or some "idea." I know that sounds silly coming from the young 21 year old who hasn't even had a "real" full-time job  yet. But I'm serious guys. Do what ever the hell you want. When you want. We don't have a contract written in blood that says we have to slave away at some job we hate. I'm sorry, but we don't. Unless a societal norm just became an unwritten and binding contract.

People, including me, have always been so scared of the unknown, because in our society we're supposed to know everything, and always have everything together. But what the hell is "together." All of it is relative. So stop being scared. Stop thinking it's going to be so much worse than it is. People are so much nicer than we think. Doing what we want is far more capable than we actually think. And if you get turned down, you didn't lose anything, because you didn't have that one thing to begin with, so just move on and try something new.

I had to fall on my ass pretty hard, and take a great leap of faith first, so I'm not saying it won't be hard at first. It probably will be really hard. But just go with the flow, ride the waves, and see where your feet lead you. Trust yourself. Trust others. I learned that in Morocco. The importance of trusting others. It's huge.

Coming back from this trip, I noticed I wasn't always nervous and anxious like I usually am. I can't describe how big that is for me. I'm usually so nervous and uncomfortable in foreign situations or with the unknown. I'm always critical of myself, and feel self-conscious in certain group settings. And now, that's virtually washed away. That's huge guys.

I can always tell when I'm relaxed because I can speak Italian with ease without over thinking it. When I got back from Marrakech, I babbled in Italian about my entire trip. Without thinking about it. I know that sounds small. But I can't even describe how important and incredible that is. 


I'm sorry this post is all over the place, but I've had so many epiphanies, and I feel so enlightened and grateful. So incredibly grateful. 

So, to my family and friends, and strangers, who have supported me, I say thank you. From the bottom of my heart. You always redirected me to my dreams when I started to waiver. You gave me the opportunity to do this. You put your money, your time, and your love toward making this happen for me. That is UNREAL. I am so lucky. So so so lucky. I just... I can't even describe it.

Just please know. I think of you all. Every. Single. Day. And it overwhelms me how incredible you guys are. Especially you Mom and Dad. Just, thank you. For everything. You raised me to appreciate others and to appreciate these moments. You taught me how to savor the world, no matter how small the experience seems. And because of you, every interaction that comes my way doesn't go without appreciation.

I love you family. So much. You have raised a daughter who couldn't be more grateful for what you've done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Salty Projections

The moment the salty distaste of another fills your mouth with indigestible words is the moment self-loathing within becomes projected upon...