Thursday, November 1, 2012

Compilation

Compilation. Today was a compilation of events that left me so peaceful and calm I was almost weak at the knees. The kind of peace that makes you warm inside and so aware of everything that is going on around you that you hardly even notice your own breathing.













Today was one of those days that didn't have an agenda. Even if I wanted it to, I couldn't because it's a holiday here and almost everything is closed. Today was one of those days where I let my instincts and senses guide me for what to do today, what streets to take, what stores to go into.

I took my camera with me and observed. I felt. I saw. And let me just tell you guys, this city is really really special. Like, make your heart skip a beat special. I didn't know cities could do that, but I guess you could say I am literally in love with this city. Who knew a place could make you feel so fluttery inside?

I learned today that place does't always matter, but it CAN matter. Being surrounded by great people can compensate for how lame a place is, but today I realized it's amazing to be somewhere where you can just entertain yourself. 

Yesterday, Professor Verdicchio said something so interesting, while we ate pizza and drank beer together as a class. He said this in regards to one specific city, but I think it applies to Italy as a whole. He said: "[L'Italia รจ un paese] in cui le persone vivono al di fuori." Italy is a country in which people live outside. 

And it's so true! Even though it's only 2 degrees Celsius outside, everyone is outdoors. Even if it wasn't a holiday, the streets would still be just as full. It's the first of November and everything feels beautiful. I feel calm, and in a way, almost overwhelmed by how at peace I feel... contradictory isn't it? 




I truly believe that there's almost nothing as beautiful as wandering. I walked and took pictures. Earlier I sat at Bar Giuseppe on the corner of Piazza Maggiore, looking into the piazza and sipping on a cappuccino, as the cool crisp morning became afternoon. I didn't think about anything except my surroundings. 



I looked longingly at the church, San Petronia, and realized it was open. I wandered in and was immediately enveloped in a spiritual essence. Everyone was walking in pairs, holding each other close and whispering. A child stepped on her tip toes as her parents helped her to light a candle, the flame glowing on her face, and exposing her innocence. 





The church looked cold with the marble floors and hard, wooden, benches, but it felt warm. And welcoming. Afterward I found myself in a bookstore that has new books, new records, new CD's, but also old ones. Everything was eclectically, yet meticulously organized. Almost just like a bookshelf in your own home, with books laid horizontally over the vertical ones, because there just simply isn't enough space for all of the books you want to save. 



There are book categories for not just history, romance, and economics, but also a communism and a storia dei ebrei nella seconda guerra mondiale section. In the background old, drug inspired music was playing, with artists such as Janis Joplin and Moody Blues. 

Seeing vinyl records of some of my favorite less known bands from back home, while I was surrounded by old history books and photo compilations of Bologna (from over the years), seemed to be quite the contrast yet quite harmonious for the American who is torn between the city of Bologna, and the lovely free speech movement city of Berkeley. 

Later I walked into a home decor store filled with Christmas ornaments that were just being put out. So captivating. So nostalgic. Seeing the different hues and textures, shimmers, sparkle, fur, made me yearn for ice skating, hot cider, and my mom's handmade Christmas blanket that we pull out of a trunk every winter season. 

I later heard a band outside yelling "Are you ready to rock and roll!?!?!" as they were trying to get a crowd fired up. I followed the noise that led me to a hipster European looking band with top hots, beards, neon sunglasses, tweed, and checkered pants. 






They played drums, and one in particular played clarinet and tenor saxophone -- frequently breaking out into solos while they were playing. The music reminded me of Cat Empire, but with a more "waltzy" twist. The soloist led the group with tempo, breaking it down for jam sessions that got everyone, who circled them, dancing. Passer-byers were lured in. 

In between walking to places I took photos of street art that caught my eye. Most of it being more conservative and less political then some of the art on Via Zamboni and off of Via Marsala. 






For lunch I made pasta, that I boiled in water and balsamic vinegar (it gave the pasta a less boring flavor), and later added raw pomodori, mozzarella, rucola, and topped it off with the slightly spicy olive oil that my parents got me from Croatia.  When I was done with the pasta, I took some fresh bread and dipped it in the remnants of l'olio. Delicious. 



It is November. And right now, this is my life. And I'm so in love with this city and who it's allowing me to become, that it honestly gets me all shook up (thanks, Elvis). 

Today was a day of Janis Joplin, Moody Blues, waltz musicians, churches, candles and flickering flames, cappuccinos in Piazza Maggiore, mozzarella and tomatoes, old dusty vinyl records in plastic casings, books with broken spines and discolored pages, window-shopping for Christmas decorations, and wandering through random streets... perfetto. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Salty Projections

The moment the salty distaste of another fills your mouth with indigestible words is the moment self-loathing within becomes projected upon...